Skip to Content

Navy Unaccompanied Housing (UH)

The Navy Housing authority is responsible for barracks and dormitory housing operations and the facilities for unaccompanied personnel.  The Installation commanding officer is the housing authority at the installation and is responsible in applying housing standards and providing equitable availability of housing to all eligible personnel.  Depending on the location and mission of the installation, UH could include quarters for permanent party single Service members, unaccompanied Service members, students, and authorized civilians who are assigned to the installation or units supported by the installation both afloat or ashore.  UH is further separated between permanent party barracks, mission essential barracks (to include austere barracks), and student dormitories.  UH is classified as government-owned or leased, and public-private venture housing (UH-PPV).

The majority of permanent party barracks are government owned/controlled and located on-base.  The Navy Unaccompanied Housing (UH) office is responsible for determining eligibility, processing applications, and making assignments.  This office also manages Housing operations, including resident relations, and maintenance and repair coordination.

Government Housing

  • Permanent Party Assignment
    Navy UH programs barracks house all single, permanent party Sailors in pay grades E1–E3 and E4 with less than four years of service.  Navy UH houses as many E4s with more than four years of service (E4>4) as possible; however, E4>4s are not required to accept assignments to inadequate quarters.  UH normally assigns permanent party E1–E3s to shared rooms with no more than two Sailors sharing a bath.  UH assigns E4s to private rooms with no more than two sharing a bath.

  • Student Assignment
    Navy UH houses students in dormitories.  Students are typically in shared rooms.  Dormitories vary depending on the type of training, and can vary from open bay rooms for basic training to private rooms with amenities such as bathrooms and kitchens.

Privatized Housing

Unaccompanied housing public private venture (UH-PPV) is privatized unaccompanied housing, managed by a private entity and governed by a business agreement in which the Navy has limited rights and responsibilities.  The privatized housing management company is entirely responsible for the construction, renovation, maintenance and day-to-day management of the housing.

UH-PPV Homeport Hampton Roads in Norfolk, VA is located both on and off base. To apply for privatized unaccompanied housing, eligible junior Sailors must submit complete applications to the Navy UH office for referral to UH-PPV.  Once referred, the privatized housing management company manages all resident matters, including leasing and maintenance. View the Military Housing Privatization Tenant Bill of Rights.

Community Housing

Community housing is the primary source of housing for single E5 personnel and above, and other single personnel eligible to receive basic allowance for housing (BAH).  Those under E5 must obtain approval by the installation commanding officer to live in the community and receive BAH.

Navy Housing Service Centers (HSC) offer enhanced counseling services tailored to meet the needs of unaccompanied service members, geographic bachelors and those new to renting.  Our enhanced counseling focuses on helping you understand:

  • Command policy for living in the community

  • Your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) entitlement

  • Your housing options, including apartments, rental houses and privatized housing

  •  The pros and cons of living in the community and living alone vs. with roommates

Navy unaccompanied personnel who are changing permanent station to overseas must consider the local conditions of the new permanent duty station (PDS) and available housing programs.   Community housing may be unfurnished or partially/fully furnished overseas.  Some overseas installations have less-than-normal weight limit for household goods shipment and availability of loaner furniture may be limited or unavailable.  Contact the HSC supporting your new PDS for more details. 


Applying for Housing

You can apply for military housing at any time; however, your application cannot be fully processed until you have provided all of the required documents (see below).  You can apply for housing in person at your installations Navy Housing Service Center (HSC), over the phone, fax, email, or through the Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT).  Because of the amount of paperwork and signatures required to secure military housing, it is likely that several communications with the HSC will be required regardless of the method used to apply.

Required Documents

If you are applying to Navy-owned or privatized housing please make sure you provide the following documents to the HSC:

  • Application for Assignment to Housing (DD Form 1746)

  • Sex Offender Policy Acknowledgement & Disclosure Form

  • Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Orders stamped with the actual departure date, DUINS, or Change of Homeport Certificate (CHC)

  • Dependent certification documents which may include:

    • NAVPERS 1070/602:  Dependency Application/Record of Emergency Data Form (USN: Page 2, USMC, USA & USAF: DD Form 93, USCG: 4170), often referred to as a Page 2 or DD Form 93

    • DD1172:  Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card, DEERS Enrollment

    • Overseas locations may use the member’s dependent entry approval message to verify the status of dependents

    • Custody Papers (for dependent children residing in home >6 months)

  • Dual Military:  Provide documentation (orders & page 2) for spouse

  • Proof of Pregnancy with estimated due date noted by doctor

  • Power of Attorney (required if spouse or representative is completing application)



Referral and Family Housing Operations

Privatized Housing

Unaccompanied Housing


* Please Note:  Additional local and regional policy may further clarify and expand on CNIC N93 policy list above.  Contact your local Navy Housing Service Center for more information on local policy. 



Moving Resources

Housing Allowance

Servicemember’s Civil Relief Act

Additional Resources

Back to top